Thursday 27 January 2011

Going Home


My mission: 
1/2 kilo cous-cous
1/2 kilo rice
1 packet of cigarettes

Destination:
Ali’s

Time:
6pm





It was dusk as I skipped out through the enchanted gate. The wind was warm and soft and full of rain not yet spent.

This was rush hour. Donkeys with carts, or a solitary rider; sheep with their dogs; camels and goats; charming old bicycles with charming old cyclists and, as I neared Ali’s open door, two Arab horses, coats gleaming even in the fading light, frisking and cavorting against the strain of their leading rein... Everyone was out to race the sun home..!

Ali was standing outside his Emporium. With his beaming smile, he was wearing his best Wizard Gown; as blue as the Essaouira sky, its pointy Jedi hood lifted up by the spirited wind.

Three minutes later, mission accomplished, I was back on the highway, to be greeted by the first drops of rain - and the jaunty serenade of a familiar banjo! Hassan! Indeed, there in the hedgerow, in the last light of the day, sat Hassan and four friends, strumming up a storm! And before you could say, “Berbers
Rock!”, I was dancing and they were singing and passers-by stopped passing by, to share in the joy!

Until the rain was really raining and the day was really night-time and I was going home...

I love this place!!!

Or did I tell you that once before..?

No comments:

Post a Comment